Sunday, January 31, 2016

Quickest, cheapest, least wasteful way to store fresh corn on the cob ... using nature's storage bags ;)

Our first summer on the farm we got overwhelmed with all the preserving we had to do all at once!!  Below is a post from our Facebook page a little later that year where I tried a few new tricks to save time and money while keeping our food for the year as fresh as possible.

I've been doing this for 3 years now and get perfect results every time :)
Enjoy!
11 month old corn - still fresh and yummy!

May 2014

I'm all about efficiency. What's the fastest, cheapest, least wasteful way to complete a task while maintaining the highest quality possible?

I've seen many ways to store corn but they all looked like way too much work! Last year I put my corn in the freezer without doing anything to it. The husk and fibers kept it safe from freezer burn and drying out.

Tonight I pulled out our last two ears from last year. They still taste like they were just picked!
Above is a picture of the two ears. I peeled one to show you what they look like after a year of freezing.


8 comments:

  1. Did you put the ears in a freezer bag or foil wrap or anything?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I don't, the husk is enough protection for it that you don't need any extra paper or plastic. I put them right on the freezer rack.

      Delete
  2. Also, is the cooking time the same after freezing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually boil mine, I add a few minutes. I've also grilled them but I soak them in salt water first for at least one hour, so they are completely defrosted by then and will not need any extra time.

      Delete
  3. How long does it take to thaw them before you can peel them ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I need the right away I run them under hot tap water for a minute and peal them right away. If not about 45min on the counter while I prep and start dinner is all they need.

      Delete
  4. I take them from freezer to the bbq grill with the husk on

    ReplyDelete
  5. do you ever put milk in the boiling water?

    ReplyDelete

Print Friendly

Print Friendly and PDF